Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Manga: Death Note vol.7 (Spoiler alert!)


13621

Author: Tsugumi Ohba 
Language: English
Publication date: 2006
Original titleデスノート 7 (零)
My rating: 

"Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects - and he's bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of evil. But when criminals begin dropping dead, the authorities send the legendary detective L to track down the killer. With L hot on his heels, will Light lose sight of his noble goal...or his life?

Zero
After a high-speed chase, Light and the task force apprehend the newest Kira. Light regains his Death Note and his memories, and the depths of his cunning are revealed as the plans he carefully put in place before going into confinement are slowly unveiled. His masterful manipulation of both humans and Shinigami lead him to the strongest position he's yet enjoyed. But the glow of his victory is marred when a new threat appears. Can Light withstand a surprise attack on two fronts?"

As most people may know, I've been reading the manga series 'Death Note' and, so far, it's awesome!!!! I decided to rate this one with four stars because I felt it was just that much better in comparison to a few of the other books I previously read. I was left a little disappointed once L, a secret agent working alongside the Japanese task force to catch 'Kira', died. Gosh, I was so annoyed! However, I was also very surprised to learn that L had two siblings, Near and Mello. One of them is to succeed L's position and continue on with his work.

I wasn't expecting L to die at first but then I'd heard someone mention it while they were talking about the movie adaptation of the manga, so it didn't come as such a huge shock, although it was definitely a disappointment. I was waiting for the story to make a u-turn and for L to come back from the dead claiming he had been a robot all along. He was quite a peculiar character anyway. I mean, who walks barefoot everywhere they go while everyone else is wearing shoes??? He even attended his college graduation barefoot!!

The confusing thing about the so called Death Note is that it keeps changing owners and, in that case, there's little chance for anyone who uses it to actually get caught as 'Kira'. It's one vicious circle, which is why I'm guessing there are 13 volumes in the series. I'm definitely going to continue reading the series since it just keeps getting better. I started watching the Anime at some point but fell out because of Uni work. Now that I'm no longer a student at University, I'm guessing I should have a bit more time to watch it from time to time. We'll see how things go. But, I really enjoyed this volume.